Resources & Reports
- 2011 Form 990 Guide for Community Foundations
- Case Foundation / Razoo Foundation Report, How Giving Contests Can Strengthen Nonprofits and Communities
- Endowment Building Toolkit
- available on www.cfmarketplace.org
- Center for Community Foundation Excellence - Community Foundations Affiliates (Now avaialble on DVD!)
- Engaging Donor Advised Funds in Impact Investing: A Toolkit for Community Foundations
- The Centennial Plan: Strategies for a Strong Community Foundations Field (2011-2014)
The plan outlines four broad goals designed to strengthen the collaborative field of community foundations and promote a philanthropic environment supportive of their work.
- CFLT Idea Lab Grant Program to Fund Innovation
- 2007–2010 Plan of Action Survey Results
- Regional Learning Forums – CFSolutions
- Economic Scenario Planning (ESP) Model and Presentation (“Stress Test”) Version 2.0
- 2009 Community Foundation Technology Vendor Analysis
- Discover What You Need to Know—a series of topical papers of interest to community foundation staff and board members. Each edition provides overviews of important executive, finance and administrative, development and donor services, communications, and grantmaking issues.
- Get a 30-Minute Mentor. Initiate contact with an experienced peer who will help you focus your strategies, avoid pitfalls and maximize impact.
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Plan (version 1.1)
- Growing Local Philanthropy: The Role and Reach of Community Foundations [pdf]
In recent years, observers have noted the emergence of geographic component funds (GCFs)—that is, funds within "lead" community foundations that are dedicated to serving specific geographic areas or communities, and that typically include local decision making and/or operating structures. At present, however, scant reliable nationwide data exists about these geographically targeted funds, and certainly no "roadmap" shows how to establish, organize and sustain them. This CSG survey represents a first step in documenting the current status and trends related to GCFs and, more broadly, assessing how these funds affect the culture of philanthropy in our communities. In addition, the survey updates information on community foundations' asset and endowment size, governance, and service area.
- "On the Brink" - the Future of Community Philanthropy (new window)
- Community Foundation CEO Survey: Transitions and Career Paths [pdf]
- Community Foundation Conjoint Study: Donor Advised Funds [pdf]
- Community Foundations: Growing Philanthropy Close to Home [pdf]
- Factors for Success: Increasing the Capacity to Raise Unrestricted Endowment [pdf]
- A Flexible and Growing Service to Donors: Donor-Advised Funds in Community Foundations [pdf]
- Strengthening Community Foundations: Redefining the Opportunities [pdf]