The Essentials of Policy Advocacy for Grantmakers course will help foundation staff use their resources effectively to advance public policies that support the greater good. Rather than focusing on what policies foundations should address, this training will focus on how to engage in policy advocacy to advance your goals. This training is designed for private foundation staff with a basic understanding of policy, but it is also applicable for staff at all experience levels whose work touches policy advocacy.
Led by Council on Foundations staff and philanthropic leaders, this training will address policy advocacy strategies that support racial equity and effective practices. Participants will gain helpful tools and resources while networking with peers who are developing and implementing their foundation’s advocacy strategy.
- Wednesday, March 13: 1:00-5:00 p.m. ET
- Thursday, March 14: 1:00-5:00 p.m. ET
Participants will explore the following during the course:
The Big Picture
- Why engaging in policy advocacy is essential for foundations to achieve their goals
- A refresher on legal rules governing grantmaker funding and actions
- Inside the Foundation: Understanding staff roles and how to build internal support
Building understanding and support across the foundation for policy advocacy engagement
- How different staff roles across the foundation can support advocacy
- Characteristics of grantmaking that support effective policy advocacy
- Outside the Foundation: Working with others to advance policy
Using all a foundation’s assets to advance policy
- Funding vehicles that support effective policy advocacy
- Building an effective relationship with nonprofit partners and grantees to advance advocacy
- Appropriate evaluations of partner contributions
- Real-life Challenges and Action Planning
Explore current challenges with fellow participants in peer breakout groups
- Discussion of initial action planning and next steps
- Additional support available from the Council on Foundation
Who should take this training?
- Private foundation staff with a basic understanding of policy work.
- Foundation staff of all experience levels that incorporate policy advocacy into their work - such as those in leadership, communications, grants management or strategic planning.
Please note, this course is limited to foundation staff and Board members only.