Philanthropy's Response to the Turkey and Syria Earthquake
Resources to Guide Philanthropic Response
More than 47,000 people have been killed and tens of thousands more injured after a powerful magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey (Türkiye) and Syria, resulting in the deadliest earthquake to hit the region in over two decades. A large population of people had already been displaced due to conflict in the region, but the massive destruction of infrastructure is making rescue efforts extremely complicated. Before the devastating impact of this earthquake, Syria was already grappling with a crippling economic crises, driving the need for humanitarian assistance to record levels. Ensuring access to clean water to prevent waterborne diseases will be especially crucial given the ongoing cholera outbreak in Syria.
As of March 24, 2023 Candid has tracked:
- 267 grants valued at $250,686,520
- 52 pledges worth $210,111, 450
To ensure that this tracking effort is as complete and accurate as possible, we encourage funders to share their grants data with Candid (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- A layered disaster: Supporting long-term recovery in Turkey and Syria – Center for Disaster Philanthropy
- Council Disaster Grantmaking – Foundations can access our Disaster Grantmaking Resources to understand how to effectively respond to a disaster
- The Brookings Institution – "Northwestern Syria needs humanitarian assistance. Getting it there must be a priority"
- Center for Strategic and International Studies – "Earthquake May Deepen Syria's Divides"
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy – "Earthquake That Struck War-Ravaged Syria Highlights Vital Role of Local Aid Groups"
- Give2Asia – Turkey & Syria Earthquake Response Fund*
- GlobalGiving – Turkey and Syria Earthquake Relief Fund*
- King Baudouin Foundation United States – Turkey & Syria Earthquake Response Fund*
- ActionAid – Donation Fund
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy – Turkey & Syria Earthquake Recovery Fund
- Charities Aid Foundation America – Earthquake Response: Türkiye & Syria
- Friends of Fondation de France – Solidarity with Turkey & Syria
- Humanity and Inclusion – Emergency Response Fund
- Project Hope – Donation Fund
- Save the Children – Children's Emergency Fund
- UNICEF – Donation Fund
- Turkey Mozaik Foundation – Kahramanmaras Earthquake Emergency Relief Fund
- Türkish Red Crescent – Donations for Earthquake in Pazarcık
- Turkish Philanthropy Funds – Donation Fund
- Turkey Prime Ministry Disaster and Emergency Management – Earthquake Donation Account
*Indicates Council on Foundations member organization
The Center for Disaster Philanthropy is the Council's recommended partner for those needing support in mobilizing a philanthropic response to disasters.