Engaging Donor Advised Funds in Impact Investing
A Toolkit for Community Foundations
“Impact investing” is the practice of investing for social and environmental impact while generating financial return. For community foundations, impact investing represents a new, complementary tool for achieving community change. Community foundations are poised to take advantage of this practice being increasingly embraced by a variety of investors leveraging their unique role in community.
We are pleased to share a practical toolkit for community foundations looking to engage their donors in an impact investment program. Developed by Imprint Capital in partnership with The Greater Cincinnati Foundation, the toolkit outlines the entire process—from feasibility through implementation—to help a community foundation incorporate donor-advised funds (DAF) into their programs. Thanks to a generous grant from The Rockefeller Foundation, Imprint was able to test the concept with four community foundations fom 2010 to 2012 and identify multiple approaches to operating a DAF impact investment program.
"Engaging Donor Advised Funds in Impact Investing: A Toolkit for Community Foundations" includes an overview of a DAF program, frequently asked questions, an impact investment policy statement, a donor engagement kit that includes marketing and presentation materials, webinar presentations, and general resources on impact investing.
- Webinar Presentation: Models and How to Get Started (.pdf)
- Webinar Presentation: Assessing Feasibility (.pdf)
- Webinar Presentation: Including Donor-Advised Funds in Impact Investing
- Sample Community Foundation Impact Investment Policy (.doc)
- Sample Impact Sector Tear Sheet (.doc)
- Sample Impact Investment Opportunity Description (.doc)
- Sample Impact Investment Descriptions (.doc)
- Sample Impact Investing Team Qualifications (.doc)
- Blueprint Research & Design and GPS Capital Partners, “Equity Advancing Equity” (September 2009)
- Bridges Ventures, GIIN and The Parthenon Group, “Investing for Impact: Case Studies Across Asset Classes” (2011)
- FSG Social Impact Advisors, “Aggregating Impact: A Funders’ Guide to Mission Investment Intermediaries (2007)
- FSG Social Impact Advisors, “Maximizing Impact: An Integrated Strategy for Grantmaking and Mission Investing in Climate Change” (May 2010)
- FSG Social Impact Advisors, “Compounding Impact: Mission Investing by U.S. Foundations” (March 2007)
- Grantmakers in Health, “Guide to Impact Investing” (May 2011)
- Monitor Institute, “Investing for Social and Environmental Impact” (2009)
- Stanford Social Innovation Review, “Roundtable on Impact Investing” (Winter 2012)